Date:      Sun, 10 Jul 2005 23:43:47 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Phusion <phusion2k@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make Image of Hard Drive

Phusion wrote:

>I recently built a FreeBSD server, and was wondering how I can make an
>image of the hard drive. I am going to build an another FeeBSD server
>using identical hardware. How can I make an image of the hard drive of
>the original server I built and copy/install it to the new server?
>Each server has a 6.4 GB hard drive. Is there a way I can create an
>image then install via the network to a new server in the future if
>need be? Let me know.

You could make compressed dumps and store them somewhere.  Not sure, off
hand, how you'd turn that into a network install though.  If you can
boot the remote server from the network, then you could easily restore
onto the disk, since it wouldn't be being used.  You'd have to slice it
correctly first.

--Alex