Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 23:28:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <digital@www2.shoppersnet.com>
To:        Gerard Roudier <groudier@club-internet.fr>
Cc:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NCR 53c875 SCSI Problems

On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, Gerard Roudier wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Sep 1998, Howard Lew wrote:

> > > I tried setting the speed to 20MB and keeping it at 8 bit, but regardless
> > > of what I do the FreeBSD bootup probe still says it is wide scsi and that
> > > 16 bit is enabled.  Right after that it starts all the command failed
> > > messages.  I flashed upgraded the bios and it didn't help.
>
> The FreeBSD ncr driver does not read the user-setup from NVRAM and it is
> not possible to tell it about the BUS width at boot time. So, the WIDE
> negotiation has every chance to occur with great success and, as a result,
> will break any further data transfer between the controller and the
> device.

Yes.  This appears to be the problem.

Because the driver doesn't seem to be able to correctly identify the bus
width, I think it would be a better idea to read the NVRAM values if they
are available.  Otherwise, those of us (anyone really) using a SCSI hard
drive that supports a WIDE bus but is running it on a NARROW bus connector
on a NCR/Symbios 53c875 card may run into this same problem.

Unfortunately, it is not a simple problem to fix unless you already have a
FreeBSD system that is bootable off of another drive.  If this is the
case, the fix is trivial by modifying ncr.c

But imagine a user trying to install FreeBSD and boot from boot.flp and
failing each time when the controller isn't able to talk to the hard drive
after switching to the WIDE bus.  I think this is a serious enough problem
to require a fix...

> > > Is there a way to force the driver to use narrow mode?  I know this hard
> > > disk can do wide scsi, but I am using the 50 pin connector right now.  Is
> > > narrow the default?  So if I comment out the code in the setwide in ncr.c
> > > should that do the trick?
>
> You will get the desired effect by just masking the FE_WIDE bit in the
> 'features' bitmap which is the main result of the chip probe code.
> Look into ncr_attach(), the patch should be trivial and very short.

Thanks for the good tip.

> > I did some more checking around and found out that Debian Linux also works
> > fine with the Seagate Hawk/Diamond Fireport 40 combination.  But FreeBSD,
>
> The Linux driver reads the user-setup from the controller NVRAM and apply
> user desired controller and devices settings. It is also possible to send
> it boot parameters. The 2nd method is only usefull for controllers that
> donnot have NVRAM.
>
> At the time I have back-ported the Ultra1/2 SCSI support to the FreeBSD
> ncr driver, the NVRAM code was available in the Linux ncr53c8xx driver,
> but this code hasn't been candidate to the back-port, since SteFan was
> working on a different implementation for FreeBSD.

hmmm... Stefan?  If you are listenining, any ideas to a real fix?