Date:      Wed, 09 Aug 2000 20:06:54 +0200
From:      mouss <usebsd@free.fr>
To:        "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>, j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unix filesystem structure

I'd add another one:
data may be shared between different operating systems.
so, just mount some /path/to/web/site/ on many servers,
and different http binaries will serve them. This won't be
the case if the http server used its own directory.

in some way, Unix is an OS served by apps (app files get copied
in directries organized for the OS happiness), while windows
is an OS that serves the apps (apps get their dirs, and the system
manages this using the registry. so when the latter is corrupted,
you can go for an install party, provided you kept a list of your
software on paper...).