Date:      Mon, 15 May 95 15:25:03 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, j@uriah.heep.sax.de, rpt@miles.sso.loral.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: GNU cpp bug with pthreads

> : The Sun "transitional compiler" #defines __STDC__ as 0 in non-ANSI mode
> : and as 1 in ANSI mode.
>
> I assume you mean the unbundled compiler in some sort of traditional
> mode.  cc on sun 4.1.3 at least doesn't define __STDC__ to be
> anything.

I dunno.  It's the 4.1.3_U1 compiler that Sun is calling the transitional
compiler (presumably transitioning from K&R to ANSI).

Unless you specifically ask it to invoke in a traditional mode, it will
by default invoke with __STDC__ defined as 0.

If the Sun example isn't sufficient, the AIX 3.2 compiler (with whatever
numerous patchtapes IBM sends) will define __STDC__ as 2 if -ansi is
used.

Anyone know how to make a Sun compiler spit out its version information?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.