Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 23:01:41 -0700
From:      Seth Murray <smurray@comboard.com>
To:        freeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   Spontaneous Reboots, Clock thrown off

Our new FBSD 4.6 server is spontaneously rebooting a couple times a day.
No related log entries -- just resets without warnings or messages. The
reboot acts like a power disconnect -- it leaves open files on the drives
that interrupt the start-up process, especially process lock files on
PGSQL that prevent postmaster from restarting. Otherwise, I probably
wouldn't have even noticed.

When it powers back up, the CMOS clock is still correct, but the system
clock is off by (apparently) random amounts -- usually less than 12 hours.

Running 4.6-Release. TYAN S2462 board with dual AMD 1666MHz processors.
All hardware is new. Not finding anything telling in any of the logs, I'm
beginning to guess at a power supply or board level problem. We're running
current releases of apache mod_ssl, postgresql, mod_php. Nothing else
fancy. No unusual cron stuff.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be more than welcome.

SHM