Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 16:40:16 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        up@3.am
Cc:        Matt Simerson <matt@michweb.net>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec AIC-7896 flakyness

up@3.am wrote:

> Hmmm...this is odd indeed...I'm looking at the drive and on the right-hand
> set of jumpers, jumper "G" is marked "TERM. POWER ON".  I assumed this
> provided termination for the end of the chain if used.

     That's the "termination power" jumper.  If enabled, the drive
provides power for the terminator ... which doesn't exist on your drive.
I guess the jumper is there for external terminators that need power and
don't provide their own.

> Flipping the drive over, we have model:
>
> DNES-309170 E182115HG

     I think this is an IBM Ultrastar 18ES.  See:

	http://www.storage.ibm.com/hardsoft/diskdrdl/prod/us18es.htm

If so, this drive definitely doesn't have on-drive termination.  See the
detailed installation manual at:

	http://www.storage.ibm.com/techsup/hddtech/dnes/dnes_di.pdf

> SCSI LVD/SE

     This means that this is an LVD-capable drive.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.