Date:      21 Mar 2001 15:36:55 +0200
From:      Jussi Reissell <reissell@cc.helsinki.fi>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>, "Jussi Reissell" <reissell@cc.helsinki.fi>, "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CD burning question

[did a fill on your reply]

"Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com> writes:

> The problem with the older drives not reading burned CD's has
> nothing to do with semi-proprietary formats.  (this is NOT CD-RW's
> which are a different animal) It's due to 2 simple reasons:
>
> 1) Many older drives cannot read multisession CD's, or Cd's that are
> left open.  If you use burn your CD so that it's a single-session
> and is closed when it's burned, it will be readable by most things.
> ISO images are by definition single session (at least they should be
> unless your burner software is _really_ brain-dead.
>
> 2) Some older drives have lasers that cannot read some of the burned
> CD's because their lasers are the wrong color, thus the burned CD is
> invisible.
>
> I understand a lot of this is confusing.

You can say that again!

Just to tie up a few loose knots. I use mkisofs/cdrecord for the
burning. If I use them like, say:

mkisofs -l -J -T  -relaxed-filenames -allow-lowercase  \
-allow-multidot -R -o cd.iso /some/path
cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,1,0 cd.iso

Will I be making a single session CD? And will it be closed?
From looking at the mkisofs man page the answer is yes to the first
guestion. The second I don't know.

Assume then in the previous a CD-RW disc. If I blank the disc with
either

cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,1,0 blank=all    or
cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,1,0 blank=fast

and then re-record the exact same iso image as above:

cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,1,0 cd.iso

Once again, will the disc be single session and closed?

Thanks, folks, for all the replys.