Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 2000 21:50:53 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Porter's Handbook category violations

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 11:20:48PM -0400, Will Andrews wrote:
> Please, please: go read this document:
>         http://www.freebsd.org/porters-handbook/x2203.html
> By this, the following net ports are in violation.  However, I am unsure
> which ones should be repo-copied to security/ and then have their "net"
> portion removed, and which aren't.
>
> clog/Makefile:CATEGORIES=       net security
> ngrep/Makefile:CATEGORIES=      net security
> queso/Makefile:CATEGORIES=      net security
> relay/Makefile:CATEGORIES=      net security
> smbtcpdump/Makefile:CATEGORIES= net security
> sniffit/Makefile:CATEGORIES=    net security
> tcpshow/Makefile:CATEGORIES=    net security
> telserv/Makefile:CATEGORIES=    net security

These are not in violation.  They belongs in net plain and simple.  There
is no rule about listing security as a second category.

In addition, IMHO the rule you are quoting here should be a guideline and
not hard.  I'm not sure everyone agrees fully with the statement you are
quoting.

> socks5/Makefile:CATEGORIES=     net security

I initially imported a socks4 into security and met with strong
resistance on the category.  I was told I was thinking shallowly by
thinking Socks is only for security.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)