Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:32:47 +1100 (EST)
From:      Tony Maher <TMaher@entigen.com>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bridging with 3C589D-COMBO on 4.2-RELEASE?

 Nate Williams wrote:

 > > Is this at all normal?
 > > Is it at all normal for folks with laptops?
 >
 > In the last 4 years on my laptop, I've had 3 crashes, and two of them
 > were related to running the machine completely out of memory.  Newer
 > versions of FreeBSD have patches that Matt Dillon wrote to fix these
 > kind of crashes, but I wasn't then (nor am now) running a version with
 > this fix.
 >
 > FreeBSD *rarely* if ever crashes on properly configured, correctly
 > functioning hardware.  If you mis-configure things such as VMWARE which
 > get very cozy with the kernel and hardware, you will see crashes.
 >
 > My very strong suspicion is that you're boxed is misconfigured.

 I am not sure I would necessarily come to that conclusion.
 My own experience has been that desktop/server boxes are extremely stable
 (its hard to remember when one crashed) but my laptop crashes more often.

 Suspending while ppp is running is sure to do it (so I dont do that!).
 But sometimes after disconnecting from network and moving to another desk
 and forgetting to plug back in and just leaving it sit, it just reboots
 after a while (sometimes).
 (actually have crashdump of this last one - but I could not get
 anything out of it that made sense - but that could just be my inexperience)

 Maybe its just the particular laptop that gives trouble (mine is Dell inspiron
 3500).  In doing a little testing for Boris Popov smbfs work he discovered
 a certain problem only existed with Dell notebooks, his comment
 "Wow, in all cases this is a Dell notebooks..."

 The only common thing appears to be changes in  network but nothing
 reproducable (except for the smbfs early versions and suspending while using
 ppp). But its less than 1 crash a month and the laptops in use home/work
 7 days a week.

 It could be random hardware failure but the correlation with network changes
 tends to rule it out.

 just my 2c

 tonym
 ps. also more rarely I get an X problem that screws the machine too.