Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 2009 11:48:03 +0200
From:      Henri Hennebert <hlh@restart.be>
To:        "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rse@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7-STABLE and chflags on ZFS now(?) failing

Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> One of my FreeBSD boxes is a 7-STABLE/amd64 one on ZFS, now in
> production for over a 1.5 years now and which receives regular upgrades.
> The last installation of FreeBSD 7-STABLE was just about 2 weeks ago.
> Today the upgrade failed the first time:

> cd /usr/src; /usr/bin/make -f Makefile.inc1 install
> ===> share/info (install)
> ===> lib (install)
> ===> lib/csu/amd64 (install)
> install -o root -g wheel -m 444  crt1.o crti.o crtn.o gcrt1.o /usr/lib
> ===> lib/libc (install)
> install -C -o root -g wheel -m 444   libc.a /usr/lib
> install -C -o root -g wheel -m 444   libc_p.a /usr/lib
> install -s -o root -g wheel -m 444   -fschg -S  libc.so.7 /lib
> install: /lib/libc.so.7: chflags: Invalid argument
> *** Error code 71
>
> Stop in /usr/src/lib/libc.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/lib.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
>         3.30s real              0.35s user              0.75s sys
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.7" not found, required by "sh"
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/adm.
> *** Error code 1 (ignored)
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.7" not found, required by "sh"
> *** Error code 1 (ignored)
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.7" not found, required by "sh"
> *** Error code 1 (ignored)
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.7" not found, required by "sh"
> *** Error code 1 (ignored)
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.7" not found, required by "sh"
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/adm.
> *** Error code 1 (ignored)
> # sh
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.7" not found, required by "sh"
> #
>
> Fortunately, I was able to quickly recover via "/rescue/cp" by copying
> a libc.so.7 from a Jail to the host system (where the upgrade was
> performed). But why has this problem occurred now.
>
> Well, /lib is on ZFS and I can remember from the past that ZFS did not
> honor chflags. But remains two questions:
>
> 1. I thought chflags support for ZFS was added already in the past.
>    Can it be that just a _few_ chflags flags are supported? It looks
>    like uchg works while the above schg fails.
I believe that for schg `zfs get version <file_system_with /lib>`
must be 3.
To upgrade this: `zfs upgrade <file_system_with /lib>`

> 2. Assuming that schg was never supported on ZFS by us, why did the
>    upgrades in the past on this FreeBSD 7-STABLE box never failed until
>    now? Why now the first time? I would have expected that it already
>    failed from day zero with the above error.

Just a try to this strange problem:

`man install` say:

By default, install preserves all file flags, with the exception of the
``nodump'' flag.

With the previous version of zfs there was no flags and so no try to
play with flags during update.

Henri