Date:      Sun, 13 Sep 1998 21:24:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
Cc:        William Woods <wwoods@cybcon.com>, FreebSD Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ssh port problem.....

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Brian Feldman wrote:

> You see, I have to make an assumption as to what is happening since I
> don't have too much info. The most possible cases I could think of
> would have been:
> 	* new includes but old libraries
> 	* includes from, say, BIND 8.1.2 which would mung up your defines
> of the inet_* et al
> 	* libc being found and picked up by the linking process when it
> shouldn't have been/ where it shouldn't have been (i.e.  a libc in
> /usr/whatever/lib that shouldn't be there)
> The first is a problem I most recently found on a -STABLE system with bind
> 8.1.2 installed to /usr/local, so I suggested that this be the first thing
> to check. You never specified if this was -STABLE or -CURRENT (should be

Original post, Brian, specified OBJFORMAT.  That exists _only_ on
current.

Besides that, this problem has already been reported nearly a dozen
times.  Search the mail archives for ssh and inet_ntoa, you'll find
them.  I finally tired of waiting for the maintainer to fix it, which is
why I went out of my way (a security thing is, to me, out of my way) to
try to fix this thing for good.  The patch involved is already commited,
once I got the idea reviewed by a couple guys who _do_ know security, I
put it in.

> -CURRENT but you know, some people like to post weird stuff about bugs in
> say 2.1.7 to freebsd-current). If -STABLE, the inet_* symbols would not
> have changed, so the BIND includes could mess the functions up. if
> -CURRENT, the inet_* ssymbols wouldn't have been changed until a few
> months ago, so new includes and an old libc could be the problem. Please
> try and post more relevent information about your environment.
>

> Cheers,
> Brian Feldman
>

>  On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Chuck
> Robey wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Brian Feldman wrote:
> >
> > > Look in /usr/local/include. Delete /usr/local/include/arpa/inet.h et al.
> >
> > No, Brian, I don't think that's the answer.  I have an answer, but only
> > a security person could tell me if it's ok.  Let me describe the
> > problem (I left in the fault listing, or at least enough of it so you
> > can check me).
> >
> > The problem is, for the gmp and z libs, those are system libs, but the
> > lib callouts for them assume that they aren't system libs.  The
> > difference is that you use a -L switch for non-system libs, to tell the
> > compiler where to look for them.  You *don't* do that for sytem libs,
> > the system does that.  This is most especially critically important for
> > FreeBSD-current, where the lib situation is (shall we say) a little
> > muddy right now.  Those -L/usr/lib switches have to go away.  They're
> > encapsulated in the patch-ac.  I included a new patch-ac with a couple
> > of small edits to take the -L's out of libz and libgmp.
> >
> > Doing this, tho, I think might have some impact on security.  I don't
> > know what it is.  I hope maybe someone who knows security might comment.
> > Don't have to know ports, just tell me if the concept is good or bad, or
> > what other solution _would_ be PC for a security-type application.
> >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Brian Feldman

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).