Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 2010 13:25:27 -0500
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   linux-only jail possible?

Has anyone tried to run a jail containing only Linux binaries? I need a
lightweight VM-ish solution to run an arbitrary number of test/dev/demo
servers (apache + python mostly) but would like it to be reasonably close to
the "real" servers (running Linux) in terms of software installation and
maintenance, etc. (Moving the whole show over to FreeBSD is a battle for
another day..)

Aside from the logistics of actually making this work, are there any known
or obvious show-stoppers/gotchas/pitfalls/etc?

Ideally yum and rc+init.d would work normally, though I expect a bit of
startup hackery may be necessary (as well as hand-extracting a bunch of
RPM's to bootstrap the first jail).

If you have attempted something like this I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

JN