Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 00:26:45 -0500
From:      Bryan Batten <BryanBatten@compuserve.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Questions for FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Using Extended Partitions

Hi Julian,

Thanks for your input regarding my problem. On 12/11/97, you wrote:

> I'm not totally sure what /dev/hdb6 under FreeBSD,
> The first 4 real partitions are called wd0s1 through wd0s4
> The extended partitons are then known as: wd0s5-> wd0s30

Turns out I did need to do MAKEDEV's for the extended partitions - but, it
looks like although creating wd1s5 - wd1s8 is necessary, it's not
sufficient.

Since the installation procedure doesn't let me select from anything other
than wd1s1 - wd1s4, I ended up making my own disklabel file, which I used
with the command "disklabel -Rr wd1s6 wd1s6.lbl". (wd1s6.lbl is the name of
my label file.) The response was a bunch of error messages, one of which
said "No label on wd1".

One thing I'm unsure of is whether hdb6 would correspond to wd1s6, or
wd1s5? The reason for this is that, in the Linux world, there can be either
four primary partitions, or three primary partitions and *one* extended
partition, which in turn can contain several logical partitions. hdb4
corresponds to the single allowed extended partition. hdb5 - hdb8 are
logical partitions within that extended partition. I can only create Linux
file systems on hdb5 - hdb8. hdb4 is visisble as a device but isn't
"filesystem'able". Is the same thing true for FreeBSD? i.e. wd1s4 standing
for the extended partition, while wd1s5 - wd1s8 correspond to the several
logical partitions. Or is the extended partition itself totally invisible
and I really should be mapping:

wd1s3 -> hdb3
wd1s4 -> hdb5
wd1s5 -> hdb6
(etc.)

The other question I have is why disklabel would care about what is on wd1?

(BTW. I'm far enough along that I'm now running off a successfully
installed system on wd0s3 - aka hda3.)

Does this trigger any thoughts as to what else I should look into?

Thanks again.