Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:13:04 -0600
From:      Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com>
To:        sjohnson <smujohnson@home.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA Timeouts on bootup

The exact same thing happens on mine A7V. I'd say grin and bear it if
you have to use the ATA100 controler. If the boot time is a problem for
you, then try using the ATA66 controler instead. I have not found a way
to stop these pauses and messages while using the ATA100 controler.

sjohnson wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I recently upgraded to FreeBSD 4.2-Release from 4.1.1-Release and
> I realized that I now receive
> the following timeout messages on boot (rather annoying cause it
> increases boottime):
>
> ata2-slave: ata_command: timeout waiting for intr
> ata2-slave: identify failed
> ata2-master: ata_command: timeout waiting for intr
> ata2-master: identify failed
> ata3-slave: ata_command: timeout waiting for intr
> ata3-slave: identify failed
> ata3-master: ata_command: timeout waiting for intr
> ata3-master: identify failed
>
> After getting these, I rebooted after doing some stuff (ie snes9x) and I
> noticed it doens't give me those messages.
> So, i concluded that it only does it every once and a while.  Anyways,
> I tried booting with my previous 4.1.1 kernel
> and i still receive these timeout messages.
>
> Has anyone had a similar problem?
>
> PS I have an ATA100 Promise controller on my Asus A7V if it helps.
>
> Thanks!

Drew Sanford
Systems Administrator
Planetwe.com