Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 10:32:57 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ahhhhhhhhh!

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Darren Davis wrote:

>There is too much noise, I think I need a straight jacket!

I agree. Any reason to cross post to hackers and stable ? My reply
is cross-posted to give stable something else to mutter about besides
paying for stable ;-)

>I came back to my email from the weekend, and I had over 400 hundred emails.

You can filter it in a) your mail program or b) a external filter program.
I can only comment on Pine (yes, there is at least *one* person using Pine
;-) - the latest (3.93) has built in filtering, although I don't know
how good it is - I don't use it.

I use procmail (procmail-3.11p4) which is in the ports
(/usr/ports/mail/procmail) to filter mail for myself and my root user.

Procmail works very well for me. I've set it up to filter all my mail
to certain files in the /home/khetan/mail and /root/mail directory,
and because ~/mail is Pine's default mail folder, it reads it as a
ordinary mail folder. You'll probably find Root's .procmailrc very useful.

Please find included my filtering for root (the filtering for
Khetan is just as an example - the principle is the same for both).

Both work fine; for root, it filters about 800 messages (about 1mb) in
less than 10 seconds, and for Khetan it filtes about 300 messages in less
than 4 seconds. I'm running -stable, but have used the same tools on
-release and they work fine for me. Being on a dial-up, you learn how to
spend as little time on-line as possible.

Both users need a .forward file, something to the effect of

---.forward for khetan---
"| IFS=' ' && p=/usr/local/bin/procmail && test -f $p && exec $p -Yf- || exit 75 #khetan"
---.forward for khetan---

---.forward for root---
"| IFS=' ' && p=/usr/local/bin/procmail && test -f $p && exec $p -Yf- || exit 75 #root"
---.forward for root---

They also need a .procmailrc, something to the effect of :

---.procmailrc for khetan---
LOGFILE=/home/khetan/procmail.log
:0:
*^To.*callbacks