Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 2000 18:10:53 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Xfree86 4.0.1 support soon?

Otter <otterr@telocity.com> types:
> you could wait for it to be included, but i think you may be waiting
> for awhile. 3.3.6 is quite stable. 4.0 has had some security issues
> since it's release. i've got it behind another machine on a private
> network, so i run it without worries. i would assume you could as well
> being on a laptop. you should consider installing it from ports if you
> need it that bad. why wait for a cd? =]

Yup - the FreeBSD team isn't interested in maintaining XFree86, and
they aren't going to make software with known root exploits part of
the base install. Until the XFree team decides they're going to fix
the security problems, FreeBSD is going to use 3.3.6. Since X is
rather large, I'd not bet on two X distributions showing up in the
release set.

You might check cheapbytes and see if they have a CD of XFree86 4.0
you can use.

	<mike