Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 10:33:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Hagan <dhagan@acm.vt.edu>
To:        "Abraham J. Stephens" <stephea@aasis.albany-academy.org>
Cc:        Britney Macklem <bmacklem@tacnet.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Password protection

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Abraham J. Stephens wrote:

> > To have users enter their own username and password requires a bit of cgi
> > programming (to the best of my knowledge, maybe there's a package out
> > there that does it for you).  Shouldn't be too terribly hard though.
>
> 	You can do it with CGI, but there is a mod_auth_external module
> out there for apache.  With it you can write a script to check users off
> your system passwd database.

Assuming you mean /etc/passwd, this is probably not a good idea.  It
allows a person to hammer your passwd file guessing the root password.
HTTP has no login failure logs, nor time-outs and such that are provided
by login.  I believe there is an article to this effect on the apache
website somewhere.

> 	If you want to be really safe you might look into a web server
> that can handle SSL.

An excellent suggestion, isn't there an apacheSSL out there?

Daniel

-----
Daniel Hagan               http://www.acm.vt.edu/~dhagan           Head Admin
dhagan@acm.vt.edu                                                   ACM at VT