Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 2003 00:24:47 -0600
From:      Barry Pederson <bp@barryp.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Saving a partially rotten IBM DTLA-307030 Harddisk

Dave Uhring wrote:
> On Thursday 02 January 2003 06:27 pm, Andreas Ntaflos wrote:
>

>>I know, I think about half of all the DTLA 30xxxx disks that were
>>shipped 2 or 3 years ago where faulty and died soon after being put
>>to work. A friend of mine had one and it failed 3 months after he had
>>bought it. Mine survived up until now and I was hoping that it would
>>last another 2 or 3 years. But it seems that I was hoping to much.
>>Disks are quite expensive though :)
>>
>>Anyway, thanks for the help everybody!
>

> You get your drive replaced under warranty if it is less than 3 years
> old.
>
> http://www.storage.ibm.com/warranty/
>
> I shipped mine to California and waited over a month, but IBM did
> replace the drive.

The thing I wasn't sure about was... does it get replaced with a new drive?
or just some other returned drive of the same flaky model that they've
reformatted and mapped out the bad sectors?

IIRC the website where you got an online RMA only guaranteed a refurbished
drive.  Can't tell right now though since the above-mentioned URL only says
warranty support is moving to Hitachi in a few days.

	Barry