Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 1996 17:32:57 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org (freebsd-current)
Subject:   Re: Exabyte 8mm tape drive performance in -current?

>I have observed that the (read and write) performance of my 8mm
>Exabyte tape drives on my -current system runs roughly half of what
>it is on my 2.1-stable systems (100kb/sec vs. 200kb/sec).  This is
>with both the NCR 810 and Adaptec 2940 adapters and using programs
>such as dump, tar, dd, team.  The systems that I have compared have
>roughly the same hardware (both are 100MHz Pentiums).  Performance
>on my Wangtek QIC-525 tape drive is about the same.  Can anybody
>offer up an explaination of why this is and what might be done to
>fix it?

I'd like to see if I can reproduce this on my system here.  I have
both a -stable and -current boot configuration so I can test on
both.  I'm using an Archive Python though, but if this is a generic
SCSI problem, it should still show up.  Do you have a particular
benchmark script you'd like me to use?

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations