Date:      Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:09:58 -0700
From:      Marshall Pierce <mpierce@hmc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cloning FreeBSD installations

--Apple-Mail-4--827605663
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

On Jul 14, 2005, at 8:34, Peter wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've some PC with identical HW with FreeBSD 5.4. I'm looking for a
> way to
> clone FreeBSD installations from one PC to another.
> I've read in mailing list about script clone.sh. "The script copies
> the MBR
> and  disklabel from ad0 to ad1 and then creates the file systems
> and copies
> data with dump and restore. The cloned configuration file /etc/
> rc.conf is
> edited using 'sed' to update the ip address and hostname."
>
> Have you this script or something similar? Is the possible send me
> that?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Peter Macko

Try the Frisbee package: http://www.emulab.net/software.php3
For what you need, it should be very easy to figure out how to use
Frisbee from the
README. Frisbee is very fast at distributing OS images (read the
USENIX paper on it,
if you're sufficiently interested), and scales extremely well when
sending out an
image to multiple clients at once.

-Marshall Pierce
--Apple-Mail-4--827605663--