Date:      Thu, 05 Aug 1999 21:50:40 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Joey Garcia <gummibear@we.mediaone.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SQL Server Recomendation Needed

Joey Garcia wrote:

> At work we use DB2 on the AS/400 so I was thiking of using a database
> server that's similar to DB2.  I'm not quite sure if DB2 has been open
> sourced (because the whole damn Linux thing), but I doubt it. And I also
> doubt that there will be a *BSD port of DB2 anytime soon.
>
> So.... MySQL or PostreSQL?  Which would you recomend for a database newbie?

Doesn't matter much till you're ready for the advanced topics. But the
only thing that's like DB2 is DB2. It has been made available for Linux,
maybe it'll run using Linux compatibility mode.

> Also, are there any GUI tools that will aid in creating tables and stuff
> for either of the two open source databases mentioned?  If so, can you
> point me to their location?

I don't think a GUI will aid much in learning SQL. You're probably better
off tapping it in one key at a time. Anyway, before you're ready to
create your tables you'll need to learn about normalizing them. Better
get Chris Date's Introduction or what's his name's Intro to Date's Intro.
Later of course followed by Joe Cello's masterpiece <g>.

Roelof

PS PostgreSQL indeed has way more functions than MySQL but also more
than SQL itself. It being a research project. That may be confusing
when you're trying to learn the basics.

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.