Date:      Sat, 18 Oct 97 01:46:05 -0700
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "Brian McGovern" <bmcgover@bmcgover-pc.cisco.com>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: xntpd question...

	Disclaimer:  I'm far from an xntpd expert, but I have managed
to whack a similar situation into shape.

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:59:18 -0400, Brian McGovern wrote:

>I've been ripping my hair out for a couple of days about this, and none
>of my handy books have a good reference to this, so...

	Here is a URL from someone else's post that I had archived:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/

>I have a firewall system that has been running ntpdate to a known
>good clock source. What I'd now like to do is change it so that the
>local time is set to this clock source, but also re-serve this
>time to the machines behind the firewall. In my /etc/ntp.conf
>file, I started with:
>
>server foo.bar.com prefer
>
>This, however, didn't seem to do much to the local clock.

	How accurate was the local clock when you started xntpd?  In my
experience if the clock is sufficiently far out, xntpd sends error
messages to syslog and that's about it.  Also, I'm not 100% sure that a
time server that works for ntp will work for xntpd.  The url above has
a list of valid public time servers, give a different one of those a
try.

>Additionally, every addition I made about the hosts inside did even
>less.

	I don't know what this means.. can you be more specific?

Good luck,

Doug

*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the  world's largest
*** Internet Relay Chat server. 4,168 clients and still growing. :-)
*** Try spider.dal.net on ports 6662-4    (Powered by FreeBSD)