Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 21:53:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
Cc:        Donnie Jones <donniejones18@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IPF, IPFILTER, IPFW ?  What's the difference?

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Rob B wrote:

> >I think I understand that IPF and IPFILTER are the
> >same thing, right?
>
> No, but similar.

uh. how are they different?

just curious, since i'm fairly sure they're exactly the same thing.

ipf being the control interface to darren reed's IPFilter package. i'm not
sure you and i are thinking of the same IPFilter/ipf.

> >And, IPF and IPFW are both programs that can be used
> >for firewall set up on FreeBSD.
>
> Yup
>
> >So, I ask you, what is the difference?  Is one a
> >replacement for the other? or what?
>
> Sort of ... IPFW is part of the core FreeBSD OS, IPF has to be compiled
> from ports.  IPF runs as-is in userspace, and can be compiled into the
> kernel, whereas IPFW runs in the kernel only

uh.. what?

IPFilter is a firewalling package from darren reed. it runs in kernel, and
entirely in the kernel. you can update it separately, if you want to, but
it comes distributed with the FreeBSD kernel source code (you can check
for it in /sys/contrib/ipfilter/netinet/). it can be built as a loadable
kernel module from the IPFilter package (downloaded from IPFilter's home
page), or statically compiled in to the kernel source code with a little
work.

no firewalling is going to run very efficiantly in "user space", passing
packets out of the kernel for processing (which is what natd does, under
ipfw) slows things down. one of the real advantages of IPFilter is that it
does everything in kernel space, including NAT. IPFW is the FreeBSD
*native* firewall.

the programs (called ipfw and ipf, respectively) are mearly control
interfaces for the two kinds of firewalls.

> >Also, and good docs you can point me to would be
> >wonderful.
>
> http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf/ - home of lotsa docs on IPF, and the
> FreeBSD handbook for IPFW info.  there is also some stuff on IPFW at
> www.onlamp.com (part of O'Reilly's pages)

the handbook has very good information on ipfw, and firewalling in
general. there are many good articles on BSD firewalling, just search for
them off of google.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche