Date:      Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:11:47 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Naomi Fernandez <naomi.fernandez@sympatico.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie -  Configuration File Location?

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Naomi Fernandez wrote:

>            I am trying to access either my xorg.conf or XF86Config file for
> some general tweaking, e.g., adding to the fontpath, configuring for a wheel
> mouse, etc.  The problem is that I cannot find either file.  According to
> the FreeBSD Handbook, they should be in either /etc/X11 or /etc.  I have
> both folders but the file is in neither.  As a matter of fact, my /etc/X11
> folder is empty.

Xorg looks in several locations, but /etc/X11 is the older setup.  New
is /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xorg.conf.  If you are still using XFree86 instead
of Xorg, your XF86Config file should be in the same directory.

>            As root, I ran find / -name xorg.conf and nothing was found.

That's odd.  Xorg is pretty good about autoconfiguring, but I didn't
think it would run without any xorg.conf at all.  If you don't have the
file, it can be created:

     Xorg -configure

That creates xorg.conf.new in your current directory.  Edit as required
and move to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xorg.conf.