Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 2002 20:49:04 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Richard Fairfield <rcf@ms.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make installworld fails

On 2002-06-04 18:45 -0700, Richard Fairfield wrote:
> Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > Richard Fairfield wrote:
> > > Here are the contents of /etc/cvsupfile :
> > >
> > > 	*default  host=cvsup8.FreeBSD.org
> > > 	*default  base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> > > 	*default  prefix=/usr
> > > 	*default  release=cvs
> > > 	*default  tag=RELENG_4_4
> >
> > That's the security branch for 4.4-RELEASE and not 4.5-RELEASE.
> >
> > Oops :)
>
> Oops it right! The string above string "RELENG_4_4" is a typo. I'm
> not sure how it got in there. What I meant to have there is
> "RELENG_4", which is what I originally had on a different system
> after running cvsupit.

Well, RELENG_4 will get you the latest in the 4.x series, which at the
moment is ready to become 4.6-RELEASE.  You should be able to safely
upgrade to RELENG_4_5 (the stable version of the 4.5-RELEASE source,
plus any critical fixes that have been applied to the source since the
date of the release).

> But I'm confused about whether I want the tag string to be RELENG_4
> or RELENG_4_5. I've read the cvsup section in the handbook, and the
> cvsup sections in FreeBSD Released and The Complete FreeBSD, but I
> don't get it. Can someone explain the difference to me???

You can find more about the 'security branches' of the source, by
reading what they are and their use in FreeBSD, at the URL:

	http://www.FreeBSD.org/security/

Cheers,
Giorgos.