Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 11:24:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        026809r@dragon.acadiau.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Michael Richards wrote:

> > > Is FreeBSD C2 security standards compliant ??  If so, what version did
> > > these security features debut ??
> >
> > No it is not - I believe to be C2 you must not be able to gain access to
> > the disks even from the console of the machine itself without a valid
> > userid and password - and with FreeBSD you can boot with -s to bring it up
> > standalone as root.
> If this is the only thing FreeBSD needs to be C2 compliant, maybe someone
> could come up with some kind of fix where your username and password can
> optionally be put in the boot block so you need it to give any startup
> options on bootup. Then use the bios to stop flopy bootups. Would that
> satisfy the requirements?

I think there are a few other requirements - SCO is C2, and I think things
like kernal permissions - for instance, you can allow userid 'foobar' set
user passwords (but not ROOT) or to use chmod, etc.  The boot issue just
came to mind quickly, since it was a PROBLEM with SCO - If you had a
problem such as a forgotten or lost root password, you had to force crash
the system to get it to fall to root for a manual fsck of the / partition.
(and cross your fingers , and light candles and stuff)

Alot of it is silly overkill that admins eventually put in work arounds
for anyways.. but thats govt.