Date:      Thu, 09 Jul 1998 16:07:52 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Daniel Keller <dkeller@psln.com>
Subject:   Re: FW: virtual terminals, console, and X

On 04-Jul-98 Doug White wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Daniel Keller wrote:
>> X starts automatically on ttyv9, so that is not a problem. The question
>> is how can I make ttyva and ttyvb accessible without a login prompt? I
>> have tried changing the line in ttys from:  "ttyvb "getty Pc" cons25 on
>> secure" to "ttyvb none cons25 on secure" but when I do this I can's
>> access the terminal with F12 anymore.
>
> Of course not, you disabled it.  What are you going to do with a terminal
> without a getty, anyway?  They are completely useless.

Some daemons (isdnd) can be configured to output on ttyv<n>. In some situations
this can be very usefull.

Daniel, just switch "on" to "off" in /etc/ttys for the appropriate ttyv-line:

ttyv9  "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off secure

Then the command (getty) will not be started on that line.

Malte.

E-Mail: Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>