Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 2009 18:11:54 +0200
From:      Fredrik Lindberg <fli@shapeshifter.se>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New network capabilities?

Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I see that the new port of VB seems to have added a couple of kernel
> modules that are probably network related: vboxnetadp.ko and
> vboxnetflt.ko.
>
> Do these provide new networking options? I have seen quite a bit of
> discussion of new network code on this list, but I am not sure exactly
> what they cover or how to use them and I don't see much on the wiki, but
> it looks like TAP is now available.
>
> Any clues for the clueless?

They implement "Bridge Adapter" (vboxnetflt) and "Host-only Adapter"
(vboxnetadp).

Bridge is what it sounds like, it will bridge the guest interface with a
physical interface. So, if you want your guest to be a part of
your network, select "Bridge Adapter" and the select your physical
ethernet interface in the drop-down list.

Host-only adapter can be used to create a virtual network among guests
and the physical machine. It creates a vboxnetX interface that acts like
it's connected to a separate ethernet segment to which the guests
are connected.

I don't know how the TAP stuff works.

Fredrik