Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 1996 00:39:04 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        peter@clari.net.au (Peter Hawkins)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with sb

Peter Hawkins stands accused of saying:
> Really?

Yes.

> Hmmm ok then though since almost all sbs use "7" out of the box as do
> parallel ports, I should imaging the conflict would be commonplace
> on most PCs bought in shops?

Rule #1:  PC hardware is crap.  There are exceptions to this rule, but
it's a good place to start when trying to find your feet.

The conflict doesn't matter to DOS and DOS-derived operating systems,
because they wouldn't know what to do with an interrupt if you wrapped
it in 40-grit sandpaper and inserted it backwards with a jackhammer.

>From FreeBSD's point of view, with a _very_ few exceptions, IRQ
conflicts are not allowed because they create potentially
indeterminate, undetectable, irrecoverable hardware states.

The fact that you weren't using your printer port doesn't mean that
the driver didn't have the vector allocated, and it doesn't mean that
it wasn't driving the IRQ 7 line inactive.

> Anyway I can try moving it though the sb has the irq hardwired. I guess
> I could try booting w/o the parallel port.

You will have to permanently disable the printer port, or shift the
other card to a different IRQ.  I would recommend the latter.

> Worth a try I guess but it seems odd to me (sbs don't give you much choice
> on irq and parallel ports give you none right?).

Printer ports are generally found at IRQ 7.  FreeBSD will work with them
anywhere, and even with no interrupts at all (but performance will suck).
Most SB cards offer several interrupts; even my nasty old SB2.0 gives me
2, 3, 5 or 7.