Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 13:20:58 +0300
From:      Dmitrij Tejblum <dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        jbryant@unix.tfs.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: merging win95 and nt filesystem changes into msdosfs

Mike Smith wrote:

> > I should also point out that there is another diff, msdosfs-vfat.diff, in
> > incoming. This diff is for 2.2. It is original and independent work of
> > Luoqi Chen. It is not supposed to support FAT32. May be, now Luoqi did some
> > further development of his work.
>
> I think that this is where things hit a logjam last time; there are two
> sets of incompatible patches to achieve two desirable things.

*Two* desirable things? That is, VFAT for 2.2 and VFAT for -current? Or what
do you mean?

> Until
> the two sets of patches are _merged_, there is unlikely to be anything
> committed.

I don't underastand this idea at all. If you like Luoqi's patches more than
mine, please go ahead and commit them. At least, I will not need to constantly
sync my patches with -current. I made my patches mostly because I "really"
need long file name support (I do some multi-platfom development...). So, if a
working long file name support will be added to -current, I will be happy.

Of course, I prefer to see my patches committed. I should clean up some things
until (and if) they will be committed. If you want to commit my patches, tell
me and I will do it. Also, I will appreciate review of my patches.

Merging my and Luoqi's patches is somewhat difficult, since they are
incompatible, and pointless, at least as a prerequistic. Such merge would not
create something much better than each of these 2 patches, and there is far
more important things, in msdosfs, in FreeBSD in general, and in my life.

Dima