Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 18:24:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        paul@originative.co.uk
Cc:        dhagan@cs.vt.edu, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD offerings by Gateway 2000

> If people are going to send things like this to Gateway (or anyone else)
> please don't CC it to the advocacy group. It totally negates any positive
> advocacy you might achieve.

In particular, there are two glaring problems:

1)	Exposure of the list address makes it look insincere,
	and instead a result of an organized campaign, even if,
	as in this case, it wasn't.

2)	Exposure of the intended recipient to follow-up replies
	having to do with meta discussions or corrections and
	contradictions by others who do not note the recipient
	is included.  Again, this makes it look insincere, but
	worse, it weakens the message considerably, since not
	only is it apparently an organized effort, it is also
	apparently an amatuerish and poorly organized effort,
	if the externally visable front they present is not
	united.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---