Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2018 07:16:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: One last item: CNS1102 support removal

> There's one last item in arm land for 12 I'd like to remove: The Econa /
> Cavium CN1102 support.
>
> It's literally received no updates since it was committed in 2010, apart
> from others doing kernel sweeps. It's unmaintained. Strike one.
>
> Second, it will be the last armv4 port in the tree after I remove Atmel. We
> haven't had FreeBSD running on armv4 Atmel since FreeBSD 8. Strike two.
>
> Third, the original machines were released in 2005 or 2006. There's only
> one known board, according to https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Cavium, and it came
> with only 16MB. So it's old and doesn't have much RAM. While barely
> possible, in theory, to run FreeBSD/arm in 16MB, it's a huge PITA. Strike
> three.
>
> Forth, I can find no mention of it in the archives or bug database. Strike
> four.
>
> I'm lead to the conclusion that this is no longer maintained, has no users,
> the hardware it was in has insufficient resources to run FreeBSD well and
> these things are unlikely to change. Therefore, we should remove it.
>
> Comments?

Again, I thought it was the plan to write and ratify a deprecation
policy then start to purge the tree per the converstations at
BSDCan 2018.  It seems your going the other way around.

Though yes, these are clear cases that probably should be purged,
they are also excelent examples to test the policy with and see
how well it works.

What is the status of the deprecation policy draft?