Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 1997 21:45:52 -0600
From:      Adam Bottchen <bottchen@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        bottchen@mail.utexas.edu
Subject:   Couple of questions from a newbie...

    Hello, I have recently installed Free-BSD 2.2.5 on a P90.  I have a
couple of annoying problems...

    First, is my PPP setup.  I configured PPP via the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
and ppp.linkup files.  The ppp executes fine, dials and connects to my
ISP.  It grabs the gateway and local IP address fine.  I can communicate
through the connection even (I have ftped several files.)  But after
about 1-2 minutes, the connection will close.  This is quite annoying.
I have researched this and found that it is usually due to a timeout
being set, yet I have not set one, all of my timeout values are 0.  I
also noticed that the connection is closed if I quit out of the ppp
tool, which according to the documentation is not supposed to happen.
Are these known problems?  Here are my files:

/etc/ppp.conf
--------------
default:
    set device /dev/cuaa1
    set speed 115200
    set log Phase Chat Connect Carrier hdlc LCP IPCP CCP tun
    deny lqr
    set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATE1Q0
OK-AT-OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"

utconn:
    set phone 4759996
    set login "(password and login stuff)"
    set timeout 0
    set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0

ppp.linkup
-----------
utconn:
    delete ALL
    add 0 0 HISADDR

utconn is the ISP I am connecting to.  There are of course several other
stanzas for other connections in the files, but utconn is the one I am
trying to use.

    Secondly, I have seen what I find to be curious behavior by the name
resolution on the system.  I am a standalone system with a dialup PPP
link to the internet.  I therefore am not a nameserver.  I have local
name resolution coming from the /etc/hosts file.  I have noticed that
forward resolution does not seem to work from the /etc/hosts file.  My
files are as follows:

/etc/resolv.conf
----------------

domain sol.com
nameserver 128.83.185.40
nameserver 128.83.185.41

/etc/host.conf
--------------

hosts
bind

/etc/hosts
----------

127.0.0.1    localhost    localhost.sol.com
10.0.0.3      earth         earth.sol.com

I type "host 10.0.0.3" and it resolves.  "host earth", "host
earth.sol.com", and "host earth.sol.com." all come back with "Host not
found, try again."  This is the same for localhost as well.  This seems
as though this is the simplest form of name resolution possible, and yet
it is not working.  This of course is causing problems with other apps
including sendmail.  Any help you can offer would be appreciated.
                                                                Adam
Bottchen

bottchen@mail.utexas.edu