Date:      Thu, 01 Oct 98 08:28:36 -0800
From:      "Dan Baker"<dbaker@illuminetss7.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <larry_nilsen@eee.org>
Subject:   Re: login as root?

     at the boot:> prompt, type in "-s" as in
     boot:> -s

     This will boot into single user mode as root without a login. if your
     / partition mounts read only you will then need to remount it

     mount -uw /

     then use the passwd command to change the root passwd.

     Dan Baker

     "It's not enough to be functional and correct. Programs should also be
     cool."