Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:07:31 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <underway@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is my /stand/ much older than my FreeBSD?

--sWvRP97dwRHm9fX+

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 09:59:33AM -0800, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> I have a /stand/ with entries dated 18'dec'02 while I've CVSUP'd
> and built several versions of 4.x and 5.x since.
>=20
> I'm guessing that 18'dec'02 was my last CD install and that's what
> installed /stand/.  Correct?  Why doesn't it get updated or removed?

Correct.  The scripts don't automatically do it.  You can do it by hand
on RELENG_4 by making install in src/release/sysinstall and then linking
everything else in /stand to /stand/sysinstall.

> Why is there both a /stand/sysinstall and a /usr/sbin/sysinstall ?

/stand/sysinstall is from RELENG_4, and /usr/sbin/sysinstall from HEAD.

> Since I have the latter, may I delete /stand/ without loosing anything
> useful?

Depends what release you're running.

> The FAQ and Handbook refer only to "/stand/sysinstall".  That seems
> wrong, if it's going to be an obsolete version.  Comments, please.

Could do with an update.  From a -doc point of view, I'm really looking
forward to the day when -STABLE =3D=3D RELENG_5.

Ceri

--=20

--sWvRP97dwRHm9fX+

--sWvRP97dwRHm9fX+--