Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 20:56:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        SUPERZERO001@aol.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hardware for BSD

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 SUPERZERO001@aol.com wrote:
> Hello there i purchase a freebsd software package package from best buy
> around a week ago. I read the book that came with it, and still trying to
> find out what are the hardware configurations. I really want to try the
> system out but still not sure what type of hardware i should get,, should i
> get a pentium 2 or pentium 3,, right know i have a pentium 3 from intel. By

Either should work, but it is possible to get some computers with strange
hardware that will not work.  If you're going to buy a computer, check
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install-hw.html  to make sure all of the
components are listed there.

> the way the package that i purchased has 6 cd roms, and no floppies, when i
> install those cd's the computer doesn't seem to pick it up, I was trying to

How did you 'install' them?  I'm guessing your BIOS is not set to boot
from CD first.

> experiment to see if the cd's would work on my dvd rom. I want to stay with
> my windows 98 system, and put free BSD on another computer. Please email me
> with more specific details. Thank you very much.

	Well specifically what have you tried so far?  Have you looked at
the instructions at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html   ?
Try putting the installation cd in the drive and setting your bios to boot
from the cd first.  Then it will boot into the installation program.  Then
just follow the instructions.  Having a spare hard drive where you can
make mistakes and not care is a very helpful thing for first time
learning.  My personal feeling is you'll want to install KDE2 at first,
because it is a very intuitive interface, but that is my opinion alone and
others are sure to disagree.  Either way, when you install successfully
you will be rewarded with a very powerful system.

						Tim