Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 2003 16:52:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Davis Doherty <doherty@math.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   pcm ain't working - running 5.1 on Thinkpad 600

So I inherited this IBM Thinkpad 600 (not one of those fancy ones with a
letter after the 600) as my first laptop, and decided I would try (a) the
FreeBSD 5.x tree for the first time and (b) FreeBSD on a laptop for the
first time. Right now, the biggest nuisance is that I cannot, for the life
of me, get the sound to work.

So far, I have tried putting

device       pcm

in my kernel and compiling. After doing a make and a make install followed
by a reboot, I get the message

pcm0: <CS423x> on isa0
device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6

A quick 'less -f /dev/sndstat' shows no installed devices. Furthermore,
no sound-related device is present in /dev (there's no mixer, dsp, snd,
pcm, or what have you). Were I running any other tree, I'd think I had
forgotten to do a 'sh MAKEDEV snd0'.

So then I follow the advice of 'man pcm' and add the lines

     hint.pcm.0.at="isa"
     hint.pcm.0.irq="5"
     hint.pcm.0.drq="1"
     hint.pcm.0.flags="0x0"

in my /boot/device.hints file, but to no avail -- absolutely nothing
changes (that I can tell, anyway).

Just for fun, I even tried adding

device csa

to my kernel (though I didn't really expect this to work), and all that
changed was that the boot message above had 'pcm1' instead of 'pcm0'.

Any suggestions will receive my hearty appreciation.

-Davis Doherty