Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 2003 16:32:10 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NEWSYSLOG changes, -Create option for rc.diskless

At 12:48 AM +1100 3/10/03, Bruce Evans wrote:
>On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>>
>  > I have an update in:
>>  http://people.freebsd.org/~gad/newsyslog/create-opt.diff
>>
>>  which implements a '-C' option for newyslog.  Once this is
>>  committed, /etc/rc.diskless2 should be changed to use it.  The
>>  update also adds a a 'C' flag for the config file entries, to
>  > match an option that NetBSD has.
>
>mtree(8) should be used to control the original files.  The
>original set of files very little to do with newsyslog.  It has
>more to do with syslogd, but it's normal for both syslog.conf
>and newsyslog.conf to have default rules for files that don't
>exist, with the actual creation done manually.  Manual creation
>is too hard to do for diskless mounts, so we need a database,
>and mtree(8) handles this perfectly:

Well, the idea of -C is to make the "manual creation" process
something that rc.diskless2 can do trivially and reliably, by
just asking newsyslog to do it.  If we instead use mtree to
create the initial files, then I think we'll end up with two
different databases that will have to have the same information.

However, I have been thinking about the fact that newsyslog.conf
does often contain rules for files that don't exist.  This patch
currently adds the -C option, and also adds a C flag for config-file
entries.  Perhaps the 'C' flag should not mean "always create
this file if it does not exist".  Perhaps it should mean "create
this file if it does not exist, and if -C was given".  That way,
the -C option becomes "create all log files which have a C flag".

That means our C flag would be a little different than NetBSD's
C flag, but I think it's a reasonable idea.  That way the config
file can have a long list of entries, only some of which would be
automatically created.  What do people think about that idea?

[the more I think about it, the more I like it, although it means
more explanation will be needed in the man page]