Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 01:09:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Andy McConnell <amcconnell@acm.org>
To:        Mike <mikey@kappaisle.com>
Cc:        Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cisco Ethernet WAN module?

Mike -

If you are going for cost effective, and you're asking on the FreeBSD
lists, your better bet is to go with a recylced Pentium with 2 ethernet
cards, and run FreeBSD and Gated.  Not only do you get the low cost for
hardware, you get a free router, web site, DNS secondary, mail server, and
anything else you want to customize. Not to mention a free firewall and
natd (if you're into that sort of thing. :-)

If this is a link between two offices, then you don't have to worry about
the tech support for end users.  So, if someone has some basic working
knowledge of FreeBSD, your solution is the cost of two old machines.  And
chances are, someone in your company needs an upgrade - oh, what to do
with that old PII-366 in the corner? :-)

-Andy

--
Andy McConnell	amcconnell@acm.org

"First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club.  And second, what
can I say?  I'm a night owl."
               - M. Barry, Mayor of Washington, DC