Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:04:36 +1100
From:      Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org>
To:        Rick Knospler <rick@skylands.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftp.perl.org strangeness

> I am running the latest cvs build of freebsd 4.9 stable..
>
> I'm trying to connect via ftp to ftp.perl.org to do an automatic cpan perl
> module installation.
>
> I am getting an error message
>
> [rick@cherry ~]: ftp ftp.perl.org
> ftp: ftp.perl.org: Non-recoverable failure in name resolution
> ftp>
>
> however, ping works fine for name resolution and other ftp sites resolve
> and connect fine as well..
>
> This happens on 2 different freebsd servers..  Works great from a windows box
> ..
>
> Any clues?

	Their nameservers are not RFC 103[45] compliant.  NXDOMAIN
	is the *wrong* answer to this query.  AAAA records came
	into existance 8 years ago.  There no excuse for a name
	server to not handle queries for them.

	Mark

Network Working Group                                         S. Thomson
Request for Comments: 1886                                      Bellcore
Category: Standards Track                                     C. Huitema
                                                                   INRIA
                                                           December 1995

                DNS Extensions to support IP version 6

; <<>> DiG 9.2.3 <<>> ftp.cpan.ddns.develooper.com @ddns5.develooper.com aaaa
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ftp.cpan.ddns.develooper.com.	IN	AAAA

;; Query time: 207 msec
;; SERVER: 63.251.223.178#53(ddns5.develooper.com)
;; WHEN: Tue Mar 16 16:59:07 2004
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 46