Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 12:12:45 +0100 (MET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au (John Birrell)
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: binutils bloat

> The build directory structure has nothing to do with where the binaries
> are installed. I'll send you (and jdp and peter) details of an alternative
> makefile design that treats the architecture specific makefiles as
> additive rather than exclusive [Sorry to sound like Terry 8-) ] so
> that more than one architecture is built.

Hmm, lets see that first before I comment on that...

> Also bear in mind that the only tools you are installing in
> /usr/libexec/elf are ar, as, ld and ranlib. The other tools are
> being installed in /usr/bin.

NOPE!, the rest of binutils goes there too, John P. has found new
problems with binutils "aout unwilllingnes". We cannot use binutils
for our aout format.

If we are going to have crosstarget development tools, it should be
completely optional, preferably a port.