Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 1997 03:30:47 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        "Keith Spencer" <bsd@smmc.qld.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tip works, PPP doesn't : ^ (

> Hi all,
> I still need help I feel & so appeal.
> I have not been able to get ppp to manage so much as a blink out of
> the modem.
> I then went to FAQ and added cuaa1:dv=/dev/cuaa1:br#57600:pa=none
> I tried
> tip cuaa1
> ATDT 12345
> and it dialed out!! Hurray! But ppp is dead as a doornail : ^ (
> It must be simple (I know I am!)
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks
>
> I have 2.2.2 stable (just installed)
> ppp.conf is listed below
>
> default:
>  set device /dev/cuaa1
>  set speed 57600
>  disable lqr
>  deny lqr
>  set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NOCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 " ATE1Q0 OK-AT-OK
> ATDT TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
> ISP:
>  set phone 727424
>  set login "TIMEOUT 5 login:--login: username word: passwd"
>  set timeout 120
>  set ifaddr 0 0

The current documentation warns against this.  The line doesn no harm
if you dial manually with "term", but is disasterous for -ddial or
-auto.

>  set openmode active
>  accept chap
>  deny pap
>  disable chap
>  disable pap
>  set authname BigBird
>  set authkey  X4dWg9327

As Greg's already asked, how are you starting ppp ?  Does "term" work
in interactive mode ?

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;