Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 21:28:40 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP, beware of pmap changes.

Peter Wemm wrote:
> This is mostly a FYI because I do not expect major problems this time.
> I have been extensively testing it in a handful of configurations.

As murphy would dictate, something fishy is going on.  In the last 12 hours
or so (I had a long sleep), I've started getting apparent memory corruption
- although it only seems visible to userland.  The usual symptom is that
gas gets blocks of memory clobbered with 0xd0d0d0d0 (yes, the same fill
pattern used in phkmalloc).  This is highly suspicious.  I'll keep
everybody informed once I've narrowed down when it started breaking.  My
test machines had one last cvs update/merge conflicts/compile/reboot before
commit.  I hope I didn't fat-finger merging the conflicts or something
silly right before commit.  I have only seen it happen occasionally on one
SMP box, the others appear OK. I have not seen problems show up on UP at
all.

Cheers,
-Peter