Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 22:49:05 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mktemp() vs. mkstemp()

On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 01:56:28PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > integer file descriptor whereas normal people use FILE * pointers,
> > including the author of this port.  How about an mkftemp() which wraps
> > around mkstemp() and does an fdopen()?
>
> This would be completely non-portable - if you really need this, make one
> yourself and add it to a library distributed with your code.

It's certainly not like it would be the first non-portable function
we've added.  Where adding functions to libraries encourages better
coding practices, I'm (often) in favour of it, especially if it
encourages more secure coding practices.  Ultimately everyone
benefits, and the pain is short-term.

--
Signature withheld by request of author.