Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2017 11:01:37 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Generating sources during buildworld

On Wed, 2017-04-26 at 11:40 -0400, Eric McCorkle wrote:
> I'm looking for some help with the build system, specifically how to
> generate sources for a library that will then be used to build the
> library.
>
> Basically, I want to have a tool which collects public key
> certificates,
> then converts them into .c files which are used to build both loader
> and
> the kernel.
>
> Knowing how LLVM works, it seems that this is possible; however, I've
> been unable to find documentation on how to write a makefile that
> accomplishes this.  Can someone point me to documentation or examples
> on
> how to do this?

There's a program named bin2c in contrib/binutils, but nothing seems to
use it.

There is also firmware(9) and the code in sys/conf/kmod.mk to convert
firmware blobs to loadable modules -- not exactly the problem you're
solving, but maybe close enough to cobble some ideas from.  Search for
occurrances of FIRMWS in kmod.mk.

-- Ian