Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 18:23:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        Beck <toyz@lcc.net>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to download?

Common problem,

OK, the first thing to do. Download everything you want.
"What is that?", you ask? Well, as posted already, get
fdimage.exe from the utilities and boot.flp from the floppy
directories.

With these, and at the dos prompt (don't run windoze) type

fdimage boot.flp a:

This will create a bootable floppy version of FreeBSD and the
installer. Get the rest of the files you want, everything in bin,
at the very least. Where to put these files.

Unlike others, I had a very easy time doing the install from dos.
But, you must have the distribution files in a particular directory
structure. Like this:

	c:\freebsd\bin
	c:\freebsd\doc
	etc....

If you are installing on a machine where there will be dos on one
partition, then you will need to run fips, another utility from the
FreeBSD site. Run defrag first to make sure that the rest of the drive
is clear. Then BACKUP EVERYTHING.

Now run fips. It looks pretty arcane, but if you think about it, all
you are doing is dividing up the disk into two halves so that dos
no longer sees the second half. (Assuming it is by half you wish to
divide the disk - just think of it as available resource. What is not
dos is FreeBSD and so forth.)

If you did it ok, the machine will act like its disk is half the size it
was. Now stick the boot floppy in the slot and reboot. Follow the
instructions for a minimal novice install from dos. (Assuming only the
bin directory has been downloaded.)

Say yes when asked if you want the boot manager. That will allow you to
boot into dos or FreeBSD. When it comes to setting up filesystems, just
let it auto select these. Until you feel comfortable setting your own
up these will work with most min install configs where you have 200 MB
or so as a minimum.

>From here it ought to work just fine. Set up your root password and an
alternative user. Do allow this alternate user (that's you) to have
super user priveleges.

As an alternative, you can do an ftp install. But you will need the
port and irq of where you modem is. Mine on sio1 (com2) at 0x2f8 with
irq 3. sio0 is com1.

Now before anything else go and reread the documents at FreeBSD.

Then backup and go for it!

John