Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 23:49:34 +0900
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@geocities.co.jp>
To:        nik@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XML driver config file to replace LINT

Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote
 in <20000625195803.G470@kilt.nothing-going-on.org>:

> [ That schema is not set in stone, and certainly requires more work.  In
>   particular, we probably need "lang" and "encoding" options on the
>   <comment> element, to support comments in more than one language. ]
>
> LINT would then become a skeletal file for things which don't fit this
> sort of pattern, and the full LINT would be generated by a script which
> parsed the above and the skeletal file to generate the full LINT.

 I think it is difficult to maintain the files because few editors
 can handle various languages/encodings at the same time.
 So, especially for translators, it is better that the .xml files
 are separated on a encoding/language basis.

 However, separated .xml files according to encoding/language
 like FreeBSD Handbook also cause another problem.  If these files are
 used to create actual configuration files as not only doc or
 advisory purpose, translated .xml files but are not synchronized
 with English version can be more harmful.  For instance,
 the out-dated translation couldn't create an appropriate LINT, so
 non-English readers cannot know modifications in the original file.

 Thus, configuration items that don't need to translate should be common,
 and others such as description field that can be translated should be
 separated, and it is better that latter separated .xml
 files (i.e. translated one) have a additional marker that
 indicates whether a file is synch'ed with the original version or not.

 in <20000626115008.B462@catkin.nothing-going-on.org>:

> The aim is that we have one file that describes the drivers -- this file
> will be used by us to keep the documentation up to date, but it will also
> be used by the system -- if the driver writer doesn't update this file then
> the system won't know about their driver, and won't build it.  They'll *have*
> to keep it up to date.

 One file...why?  A port in Ports Collection depends on some files
 not one file, but it works fine.  I think we can maintain more easily
 several small files than big one file.