Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 01:51:18 -0400
From:      "Arthur S. Jovellas" <acesales@acesales.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ipfw

I have compiled a custom kernel with

options IPFIREWALL
options IPFIREWALL_VERRBOSE
options IFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=20
options IPDIVERT

When the new kerlel boots I get the following message:

IP packet filtering initialized, divert disabled, logging disabled

Why is divert and logging disabled?
I am trying to redirect a port on the ipfw server to another web server
for requests.

When I setup divert rules manually and then do an "ipfw list" the rules
are there but then when I try to http://ipfw-machine:80 it won't
redirect to the machine setup in the divert rules. Instead it just
returns the request of port 80 for the local ipfw machine.

What am I doing wrong?

I am running 2.2.6

The only way I can currently do what I want with port 80 is redirecting
using "socket" in my /etc/inetd.conf file. I really need to do this
through "ipfw divert" for many other ports that will change often.

Nothing is logging as well so I assume that is part of the problem with
divert and logging showing up disabled on boot. Even though "log" and
"divert" options show up during a list command they seem to be inactive.
Is there a switch I am not aware of or am I inserting it in the wrong
part of my kernel config? I started  my

options IPFIREWALL

right after

maxusers    250