Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:18:03 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        dionv@spots.ab.ca
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SOLARIS VS FreeBSD

   I've yet to attempt running Solaris on the i386 platform, so maybe
I'm a little biased here, but I figured I'd put my two cents in too.
   I have used SunOS 4.1.2, SunOS 4.1.3, Solaris 2.3, Solaris 2.5.1,
Solaris 2.6 and Solaris 8 on the sparc platform. Personally I find most
of the stuff out-of-date; the features are lacking to that of the
open-source software. Recently I began running OpenBSD 2.6/OpenBSD 2.7
on the same sparc machines, and thus far it's been a lot quicker than
they used to be running Solaris. Admittedly I've not done much with
Solaris 8 yet, but I really don't have much of a desire to either. I
find *BSD generally easier to use and work with -it took me two hours to
download/compile/install kde as a replacement window manager on the
Sparc running OpenBSD, compared to the two weeks of compiling and
patching and then finally giving up accomplishing the same task under
Solaris. Granted I'm not the greates programmer in the world, and I
didn't understand some of the errors Solaris was puking up when trying
to compile, but I do know this; OpenBSD didn't give me any, and niether
did FreeBSD/i386. The only thing I need to assure, is that OpenBSD will
be able to run my Solaris binaries quik enough to become a perminant
replacement.
--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com