Date:      Tue, 8 Mar 2005 21:19:57 +0100 (CET)
From:      Goran Gajic <ggajic@mail.sbb.co.yu>
To:        freebsd-net@www.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfilter 4.1.6 won't build on FreeBSD5.3 amd64 (fwd)

Actually I was interested if Dual Opteron with FBSD5.3
can compare with Cisco7206 with NPE-G1 running only for NAT
purpose of some 7000 hosts (and sadly more then ~80k pps can easly bring it
down and no one can comfirm that 7206 with NPE-G1 can actually process 1M
pps:). Ipfilter that is included in FreeBSD 5.3 is an old 3.4.35, I was not
satisifed with its performance so I thoght that since ipf 4.1.6 is newer and
has some new features maybe it can better cope
with high NAT traffic. Unfortunately it won't  compile cleanly on FBSD5.3-amd64
without supplied patch. I have compiled it with #define LARGE_NAT but so far  I
have tested it - only on few machines on local LAN and it works fine and I'm
sure I will try it on live network with high traffic load  :)

Regards,
gg.